Russia was knocked out of this summer’s European Women’s Football Championship and barred from qualifying for the 2023 Women’s World Cup on Monday, deepening the sport’s isolation. As a result of the country’s invasion of Ukraine.
UEFA, the governing body of football in Europe, announced its decisions on Monday. In addition to barring Russia from two of the biggest competitions in women’s football, the governing body said it had suspended all Russian national teams and clubs from UEFA matches until further notice.
Russian clubs were also banned from all UEFA competitions for the 2022-23 season – including the Champions League, the richest club competition in football.
The penalties were previously applied to Russian men’s teams, which had disqualified Russia from qualifying for this year’s World Cup in Qatar when they won just two more matches to secure a place on the field. Needed and kicked out a Russian club, Spartak Moscow. Europa League knockout rounds.
Russia’s women lost two World Cup qualifiers in April as a result of an earlier ban on their teams, but UEFA postponed its decision to participate in the Women’s Euro, which opens in England in July. Now, with the event approaching and many countries on record saying they will not play against the Russian team, it has very little choice left.
Portugal will replace Russia in the European Championship, taking place in a group that includes the tournament’s two favorites – the Netherlands and Sweden – as well as Switzerland. Russia defeated Portugal in the playoffs to qualify for the event.
Since the country’s invasion of Ukraine in February, several international sports leagues and organizations have excluded Russian and Russian athletes from various sports, including tennis, football, auto racing and track and field. Last week, Russia was stripped of its right to host next year’s World Ice Hockey Championships.
Russia has vowed to face certain penalties against its teams and players in a sports arbitration tribunal in Switzerland, which is responsible for resolving disputes in sports. (Its court already has a dozen complaints.) And not everyone agrees with a complete ban on Russian athletes.
Following Wimbledon, under pressure from the British government, it confirmed that it would not allow Russian and Belarusian players to participate in the grass court tennis tournament this summer, with both men’s and women’s touring governing bodies deciding. Expressed concern over
The ATP, which runs the men’s tour, called it “unfair” and said it had the potential to “set a precedent for the game.”
The WTA, which oversees the women’s tour, said: “Individual athletes should not be fined or barred from competing because of where they are from or because of decisions by the governments of their countries. Discrimination, and The decision to focus on such discrimination against individual competitors is neither fair nor justified. “
On Sunday, top men’s players Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal added their voices to the criticism.
“It’s not their fault what is going on with the war at the moment,” 21-time Grand Slam winner Nadal told some of Spain’s most affected players, “my Russian teammates, my teammates.”
“I apologize for the inconvenience,” Nadal said. Wimbledon has just made its decision. The government did not force them to do so.