The owner of the Sociedade Anônima do Futebol do Botafogo spoke to the French press for the first time since Leon from France, after announcing the agreement to become the majority shareholder of the club of North American businessman John Textor. He commented on the relationship he hopes to have between his clubs.
– We try to build a family between our clubs. To work together Officially, our fans understand that. It was a really nice thing when we bought Botafogo. It’s very different from my investment in Crystal Palace, but Rio de Janeiro fans started connecting with London fans, they started exchanging cultures, shirts, they don’t compete with others.. Social networks are great for this. Now I see people wearing Crystal Palace shirts at Nelton Santos Stadium and I see Botafogo shirts in London pubs. And they call each other brother. And they’ve been doing it with Leon for less than 24 hours, “said Texter.
- Leon announced his intention to become a majority shareholder in John Texter’s club.
John Textor will acquire 66.5% of the total shares and may go up to 88.55% in the future. The business’s investment has not been disclosed, but a statement issued by Leon last Monday stated that the club’s current value is 798 million euros (R $ 4.3 billion). Textor surrounded rival Paris Saint-Germain and criticized the club’s form of investment.
– I don’t like projects like PSG. If we continue the work that Jean-Michel Ols (director of Lyon) has been doing for some years and we bring entertainment and technology into it, we can make more money than any Qatari investor – Texter He added that he thinks money has “broken” football.
– I think football was broken with money. That is a fact. We have at most two or three strong teams in every part of the world. And rest? What’s the fun in that I think money is important. We have to spend. But what I do like about football is the community that lives in it – the American businessman revealed.
- Thiago Mendes renewed with Leon until 2025.
John Textor was asked what Leon fans could expect after taking over the club. The businessman recalled a “stupid” statement he made when he arrived in Botafogo.
– I think my first suggestion for the men’s team in Lyon is to start watching the women’s team immediately. Just kidding (laughs). I was talking nonsense when we bought Botafogo in Brazil. The team was in the second division. Lots of problems in recent years. The team had not won anything in decades. I said I wanted to run to Flamingo later. Which, of course, made the video an overnight sensation. “Because everyone was looking forward to beating them in the next showdown.. I believe in dreaming with open eyes.
- The landing party symbolizes the return of the honeymoon of the fans with Botafogo.
Introducing John Textor Leon – Photo: AFP
More from John Textor’s press conference
– I really don’t have a strategy. Have more players, train them. The interesting thing about the Premier League with Crystal Palace is that they are beating Manchester City. Anything can happen in a game, Leon is not far from the top. We have to start making special moments where we beat our rivals more. It is a combination of financial resources and skills.
Audience Introduction Lyon
– I have a sincere love for football. I never called myself an investor. I am fortunate to have small companies and in a few moments they have grown. Unfortunately football is about money. We will invest and invest directly in Lyon. Leon represents everything I would like in a club. It has an incredible balance. It is an all-sports club for men and women. It’s one of the biggest clubs in the world, “said Texter.
SAF buys clubs in Brazil
– In Brazil, I think I was one of the first to buy SAF. Ronaldo, on Cruzeiro. 777 Partners, at Vasco da Gama. Maybe Manchester City will buy a club. Capital is being raised in Brazil, one of the world’s best talent creators. The people of Botafogo expect this exchange of experiences. Players are moving in both directions, from Europe to Brazil and from Brazil to Europe. In the years to come, I hope Botafogo will be recognized as the best player trainer in Brazil.