The USP is investigating the re-emergence of the Thrush virus after 20 years. Health

FMUSP Communication Advisor

The USP is investigating the recurrence of the Sibia virus.

Scientists at the University of Sؤo Paulo on Monday released preliminary data on research into the Brazilian Mimerina virus, or Thrush virus. After more than 20 years in Brazil, the virus was re-recorded without any infection. Extremely deadly, the virus causes Brazilian hemorrhagic fever.

The most recent incidents occurred in rural Sao Paulo in 2019, when two people died within days of diagnosis. Both had symptoms such as fever, muscle and abdominal pain, dizziness and prostration.
One of the transmission hypotheses is “inhalation of viral particles, probably from rat feces,” according to preliminary data from a study published on the USP website.

Dr. Anna Katherina Nastri said, “Based on another South American memarina virus, we have speculated that this person may have been infected by inhalation of viral particles, perhaps from rat feces. But this is definitely the case.” Not proven because we have very few cases reported, “said Dr. Anna Katherina Nastri. From the USP School of Medicine.

Since the registered cases were in rural areas, with limited laboratory and diagnostic resources, the doctor believes that some cases have not been registered. This prevents a complete review of Brazil’s hemorrhagic fever.

“We don’t know if there really are any mild cases, like yellow fever, which ranges from a serious case to people with no symptoms,” said Anna Nastri.

Rural areas

The first case of Sibia virus was reported in 1990 in Kotia, in the heart of Sao Paulo. The second took place nine years later at the Esprito Santo do Panhal. The two latest assessments took place in 2019 at Assis and in 2020 at Eldorado.

Eldorado’s patient was a 52-year-old man who had passed through the jungles of Eldorado City and was beginning to experience symptoms such as muscle aches, abdominal pain and dizziness. He was in the hospital but had to return four days later when he was admitted. She also had a high fever and drowsiness at the time.

Upon admission to the hospital, the patient’s medical condition worsened until he was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), ten days after the onset of symptoms. The man was bleeding profusely, had kidney problems, low levels of consciousness and hypotension. He died two days later.

In Assisi, a 63-year-old village worker suffered from fever, general malaria, nausea and prostration. She needed to be intubated eight days later, when her condition worsened, with loss of consciousness and respiratory failure. He died 11 days after the first symptoms.

Hospital transfer

The study also found that there were no cases of Sabia virus infection in the hospital environment. However, since there are few registered cases, it is not possible to draw any conclusions about the forms of transmission.

“This shows that with the usual precautions, such as masks, gloves, goggles and aprons, there was no transmission, and that makes us a little calmer about our virus,” said Anna Nastri.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.